Home » History


Thistley Hough Academy is situated at the heart of the Doomsday Village of Penkhull which, archaeologist’s state, has been a settlement for over four thousand years. The school itself occupies an elevated position on a very extensive site of some 9 hectares of beautiful playing fields and recreational facilities. The village has been home to a number of notable residents including Sir Oliver Lodge, Sir Richard Lodge and Sir Stanley Matthews and features buildings commissioned by the likes of Josiah Spode.

The original school was first opened in 1938 as Thistley Hough School for Girls. As a very prestigious and successful grammar school, Thistley Hough had a reputation for being unrivalled in the city for academic excellence. The school has numerous notable alumni and ‘Thistles’, as they are affectionately known, still display a passionate commitment to their former school.

There has been a renaissance in linking the school to its prestigious past in recent times as we have much to learn from our forebears. The school’s motto has been reinstated as have some of the former traditions such as the Honours Boards. The school is currently working on a mini-museum to celebrate our origins.

Despite proudly celebrating our heritage and traditional roots, our focus is firmly on the future and the quest to gain outstanding status.