Standards and Expectations
I write to welcome you all the new half term; I trust you have all had a restful break.
Here at Thistley Hough Academy, we have a set of standards that we expect all members of our community to abide by. These are set out in our school planner and I would like to take this opportunity reiterate these.
We expect all of our students to:
- Wear the Thistley Hough Academy uniform smartly
- Present all classwork and homework neatly
- Take personal responsibility for their learning
- Recognise and celebrate personal achievement and the achievement of others
All students must act appropriately in order to:
- Ensure everyone can learn
- Value other peoples’ views and beliefs
- Treat people politely and with honesty
- Look after the property of others, the Academy and the community
All students are required to:
- Attend school daily, equipped to learn
- Arrive on time to school and every lesson
- Complete all classwork and homework to the best of their ability
- Make a positive contribution to the Academy and the community
As you are aware we now track all of our students’ attitude to learning behaviours using the Class Charts system. In addition, all detentions are also now logged using this system which can provide you with notifications and details of any detentions your child may receive, all of which all you can access via ClassCharts.com. Any student who is unable to fulfil our expectations will be issued with the appropriate detention as detailed in the Detention Upscaling Process overleaf.
Attendance and punctuality to school are vital to student success at every level in education. There is a clear correlation between student attendance and progress. As such, as ever, attendance is a key priority at Thistley Hough Academy.
All students are expected to be in full academy uniform every day. Please remember that a plain grey jumper is now compulsory for all students in Years 7 – 9. Also the use of mobile phones or headphones is not permitted on the Academy site. Use of such items will lead to confiscation.
This term is particularly crucial for our Year 11 students as they head into the final weeks before the GCSE Examinations begin. As a school community as a whole, we will be supporting and guiding them to ensure every success for them in the future.
If you require any additional support with class charts, or would like to discuss any of the items in this letter further please indicate this on the reply slip over leaf, returning it to the main office at your earliest convenience. Should you require further discussions, the appropriate person will be in contact to resolve your query as quickly as possible.
May I take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support; it is very much appreciated.
Detention Upscaling Process
- Class Teacher Detention
- (Maximum 15 Minutes) in the class teachers classroom at an agreed time
- Head of Department Detention
- (Maximum 20 Minutes) in a designated time and room
- Head Of House Detention
- (Maximum 30 Minutes) in the Sports Hall after school
- SLT Detention
- (Maximum 1 Hour) in the Sports Hall after school
Punctuality to Lesson Detentions
Students will now have 3 minutes from the sounding of the bell to reach their next lesson. This is ample time to travel around the building, use the facilities if required and arrive for a prompt start to their next learning experience.
Any student who arrives after the 3 minutes will automatically receive a 10 minute detention at the end of the day. These will be cumulative for each lesson or form period that a child is late for and must be carried out that evening unless other arrangements have been made with the Academy. Failure to complete the required detention will trigger a notification to parents/carers stating that if the detention is not completed the following evening this will result in a Fixed Term Exclusion for refusal to follow instruction.
Students need to be prepared for learning by attending the Academy with the correct basic equipment. This ensures that lessons can begin swiftly and without delay. As such, students are required to bring the following equipment:
- School Bag
- Black or blue ballpoint pen
- Pencil sharpener
- Reading book