Dear Parents /Carers Ofsted
Inspection – March 2017
As you are aware the Academy was inspected by Ofsted on 22nd – 23rd March 2017.
The report has now been finalised and will be published on the Ofsted website on 26th April 2017.
I am delighted to announce that Thistley Hough Academy has been graded as Good with some Outstanding features.
I would like to thank all those members of the school community who shared their comments with the inspection team and also those parents/carers who took the time to share their views on Parent View, Ofsted’s on-line questionnaire.
The full report is now available on for you to read and hard copies can be collected from Reception.
Copies will also be emailed home to parents/carers.
Please do let us know if you would like us to post one home to you. Please find below a summary of some of the key points from the inspection report:
• “The school’s work to promote pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding.”
• “Pupils benefit from an extensive range of activities which help them to develop selfconfidence and high aspirations for themselves.”
• “Pupils are well cared for at the school and parents agree.”
• “Leaders place a high priority on developing pupils’ self-confidence and aspirations. The wide and diverse range of extra-curricular activities has an impact on this.”
• Relationships across the school are positive and highly conducive to good learning. Pupils work hard and are polite, courteous and well-mannered.” • “The school prepares pupils very well for the next stage of their education or employment.”
• “Leaders are successfully unlocking the academic and personal potential in all pupils.”
• Teaching, learning and assessment have improved considerably since the last inspection and as a result “Teaching is Good”. As a result, pupils make consistently good progress. Teaching in English is now a ‘significant strength’. The Creative Education Academies Trust is a company limited by guarantee Registered in England and Wales no 7617529 Registered Office: 7 Sicilian Avenue, LONDON WC1A 2QR The Creative Education Academies Trust is a charity, regulated by the Secretary of State for Education
• In 2016 every Year 11 pupil made progress that was “well above average across a range of subjects, including English” and every Year 11 pupil who has left the school over the past three years has moved on to higher education or employment with training.
• “All groups of pupils make good progress across year groups”.
• Pupils with special educational needs and/or disabilities “make good progress because they receive effective support”.
These points are just a small snapshot of the full report and I do hope that you take the time read it in its entirety.
I am absolutely delighted with the findings of our inspection and this is a great moment for everybody at Thistley Hough; staff, students and families alike. Walking around the school every day, I see great dedication, ambition, high expectations and acts of brilliance and kindness, big and small. This is the Thistley Hough that I know and love and I am delighted that Ofsted saw the same.
As I have always maintained, our vision is to be graded as ‘Outstanding’ overall and the findings of this inspection are a significant step on this journey. As we start the next chapter in the proud history of Thistley Hough, I look forward to working with the whole-school community to realise this but, more importantly, making sure that every student that leaves us is enabled to do great things with their life.
(A very proud) Principal